Pregnancy Ticker

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

B is for Belly

….and it has arrived!! Right on schedule-- everyone told me a first-time Mom usually starts showing around five months. Now, as a woman having done anything and everything to have and maintain a flat tummy for nearly the past two decades, I never thought I would be this excited about having a protruding abdomen! But let me tell you, I am SO excited!!! Little Rob is making his presence known with his nightly kickboxing routine and by expanding his sleeping bag, also known as my uterus.

This weekend, Carlysle and I made the last minute decision to spend the weekend relaxing on Lake Travis. We slept in, spent the days cruising the lake on the pontoon boat, and floating in Cow Creek. (Well, Carlysle and Mushy floated, it was too cold for me!) We had a great time and made it back home Sunday evening.



The nursery re-texturing is COMPLETE!! After a long, grueling and powdery process, it is done. (We got a quote to re-texture the entire house and I almost choked when it came back at $10,000, but now I can clearly understand why they charge that much.) I’ve picked out the paint and started painting a sample wall to determine whether or not I like the color in the room’s light. I loooove chocolate brown and blue for little boy’s nurseries, however, it has become a slightly overused color combination so I’m varying it somewhat by going with a powdery-teal blue and tan. The paint colors are “Interesting Aqua” and “Nomadic Desert”. Now that I finally have some color on the wall, I’m in full-on nursery mode. All the furniture is picked out, the chair rail is ordered and my Dad is making me a custom surprise for the windows … pictures are coming but I can tell you, it’s going to be FABULOUS!!

I should start a whole new blog based on my weekly-first-time-mom-baby-gimmick-obsession. However, I don’t think this one is a gimmick: my friend Courtney has a two-and-a-half year old little boy named Easton and he is very advanced for his age. He speaks in full conversational sentences and I’ve always been very impressed with him … well, she let me in on a little secret called BeBe Sounds. When she was pregnant, her sister gave her a headphone set specially made for pregnant bellies and she played classical music every night for Easton while she dutifully read her parenting books. (Can you say perfect Mom?) After she told me this, I started reading all kinds of studies linking the concerts in utero to brain stimulation and early advancement in language and motor skills. Well, needless to say I ordered the headphones! Actually, my Mom, being a huge proponent of education (I’ve had a Pearland Library card since I was five) said “I want to buy it for him!!” immediately after I told her about it. It will take a little while longer than the Snoogle to determine if this one works, but I will let you know! Of course, I think every parent thinks their child is a genius so I might not be the best source.

Oh … and I got my Snoogle and it is wonderful! I think it came complete with special sleeping sprinkles or something because I have slept through the night since I got it.

Weekly Womb Workings

By now Rob looks like a mini-version of what he'll look like when he's born. All his facial features are formed and hair is growing on his head. Hopefully not a lot of hair, I've heard the heartburn is worse the more hair they have. He's even acting like a baby and will occasionally suck his thumb or yawn.

His heartbeat is getting stronger and can be heard using a good old-fashioned stethoscope. By 21 weeks, fetal bone marrow starts making blood cells—previously done by the liver and spleen. This may not sound that exciting, but it's good news.

The amniotic fluid that has been cushioning our little nugget now serves another purpose: he uses it to "practice" chowing down. Yes, it sounds gross (as many aspects of pregnancy do), but it's an important step toward him being able to chow down in the real world. He's been swallowing amniotic fluid for a while now, but now the intestines are finally developed enough that he's absorbing small amounts of sugars from it. And let's face it, being able to effectively digest sugar is important at every stage of life....especially if he gets his Mom's sweet tooth!

He now weighs between 10 and 11 ounces and is approximately 7 inches long. Big Boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment